Filmmaker (Self Shooting PD,DV Director),Photographer, Writer (research, documentary and drama), Editor (offline using Adobe CS, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve 17 Studio), Educator and Artist
I am an independent multidisciplinary creative; a documentary maker, producer and film and video artist aspiring to create content that influence audiences educationally, politically, artistically and spiritually.
Over the past twenty years I have made all kinds of content for broadcast and online and am an international festival award-winning documentary producer; a self-shooting producer/director, editor and photographer. I have made a feature drama, festival award-winning documentaries, music videos, commercials, branded content, experimental films, moving image backgrounds, soundscapes, multi-channel installations and photography projects.
I also work as a writer, art director, digital conceptualist, audio designer, abstract painter, cartoonist and freelance lecturer/educator with research interest in experimental and immersive storytelling.
I have a real passion for film and art, and over twenty years experience in producing and directing, cinematography and lighting, sound design and editing, and maintain an open-minded and flexible approach to the collaborative creative vision (whether it be for experimental, immersive documentary, factual television, short or feature drama or corporate and branded content)
I divide my time working between my studio in Oxford (UK) and in New York (US), and have permanent resident status; a Green Card which allows legal employment stateside.
Sept 1981 – July1986 : John Hampden Grammar School
Sept 1986 – July1989 : Amersham College of FE, Art and Design
Sept 1989 – July1992 : Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama
Sept 2017 – July 2018 : University of Coventry : Masters with Distinction in 21st Century Media Practice
UK: +44 (0) 777 571 3363
US: +1 718 316 3359
August 1992 – December 1995: Producer at Natural Sound, London
Jan 1996 – Dec 1996: Director at The Court Theatre, New Zealand.
Jan 1997 – April 1999: Freelance Filmmaker and Video Artist, London.
May 1999 – June 1999: Multimedia Producer, Hong Kong
July1999 – April 2012: I formed Yellow Media Group, and with a small team based Soho began producing award winning documentaries, video journalism and reportage, commercials and branded content and short drama.
During this time II travelled extensively around the world, including in conflict zones and many third world countries making documentaries, reportage and audio/visual events.
In 2008 I was commissioned to write 12 feature drama scrips, whilst beginning to work as an associate lecturing at University.
May 2012 – August 2012: Creative Director for Resolution Productions in Doha, Qatar.
Sept 2012 – Dec 2012: Creative Director for Fashion One in Cebu in The Philippines.
Jan 2013 – Present: I continue to work as a freelance/self employed writer, filmmaker, multimedia video artist, graphic designer, camera operator, sound designer, painter, cartoonist, and associate lecturer at Bucks New University and Film Oxford. I divide my time between Oxford and New York working on a variety of interesting projects, both as a self- starter and ‘gun for hire’. I also have a documentary consulation business where I advise and produce indie projects.
Interests and Involvements
- Judge at The Queens World Film Festival, New York City
- Trustee of ScreenTalk Oxfordshire
- Trustee of Oxfordshire Mind
- 2004 – 2010 – served on Committee of The Directors Guild
Producer : CR 69 – Chas’in The Championship (Documentary)
Producer/Director – A World Apart (Multi Channel Installation)
Writer/Producer/Director – Endgame (Documentary)
Producer/Director – The Aya Experiment (Documentary)
Writer/Producer – If Only (Multimedia Stageplay)
Lead Artist Exhibition
Screenplays for Option: https://andireiss.wordpress.com/writing/
I have written and taught many media related courses for Universities and private academies in the UK and overseas, and am currently an Associate Lecturer at Bucks New University and Film Oxford, and in the past have taught at the SAE in Oxford and at the London and London Academy of Media, Film and TV
I am experienced in writing, teaching and overseeing the following modules/courses:-
- Tech Skills: Camera and Editing (Premiere Pro)
- Writing for film and television: documentary
- World of Journalism (with a focus on video journalism, reportage and short form documentary)
- Writing for film and television: fiction (focussing on ‘how to read a script’, short visual narrative and feature script development)
- Technical skills: lighting and sound
- An introduction to photography
- Advanced technical skills
- Photography for Design, Advertising and Promotion: Editorial
- The Media Business and creating business plans
- Production Management
- Music Video Production
- Editing Print and Online Content
- Media Lifestyle and Culture
- Professional Preparation (Placement Plus)
- Photography for Design, Advertising and Promotion: Campaign and Publicity
- Art Film Production (focussing on the difference between art and experimental film and commercial film)
- News Truth and Power (with a focus on video journalism, reportage and short form documentary)
- Presentation for Broadcast Media
- Social media marketing
- Filming on mobile phones (with a focus on using specific apps that turn a phone into a DSRL kit)
- Professional Preparation 2
- Industry Practice Research Project (focussing on historical or social value and content analysis research methodologies)
- Independent Script Project
- Creative Portfolio Production
- Placement Plus Work based project
- Introduction to producing branded film and corporate video
- Event production
- Performance video production
- Creative VJing
- Directing Drama and working with actors (both with script and improvisation)
- Creating your showreel
Download my teaching assessment report from Film Oxford here:-
Me My City My World Exhibition for Film Oxford
Art and Digital Design