Andi Reiss is a London and Oxford based filmmaker, producer and artist. He is an award winning independent documentary maker filmmaker director, screenwriter, cameraman, editor, colourist, storyboard artist, cartoonist and associate lecturer, with the experience to oversee a project from conception through to completion and delivery.
He is also an award winning ‘mistake maker’, which over twenty years has offered opportunity to realise that mistakes are a big part of thinking different.
In his work, often with a political aspect, he aims to incorporate a range of artistic disciplines, uniting them within a social and cultural context. His film include Cargo (2004), Homecoming (2010), Postively False – Birth of a Heresy (2011), Positive Hell (2014), Sacrificial Virgins (2017) and Endgame – Assisted Dying and UK legislation (2018).
Described as being able to strike the ethnographic balance between getting involved with his topics, whilst ensuring he keeps enough distance to guarantee his neutrality and independence, he is an experienced and creative self shooting producer/director and editor, often working with a very small team. However, he has the rare combination of storytelling, photography and people skills that, hopefully makes his work both interesting and challenging to an audience.
During his formative years, in which he built a strong foundation, he wrote/produced and directed several diversified short films and commercials, and in his spare time does a bit of writing, illustrating and cartooning. He also enjoys being an associate lecturer, teaching fresh and passionate talent.
He served on the Committee of the Directors Guild between 2004 and 2010, and is a Trustee for the mental health charity Oxfordshire Mind. Outside of professional activities, his interests include trampolining, bubblewrap, Avril Lavigne’s underrated later work and knitwear.
- Documentary – short and long form.
- Editing and self-shooting.
- Script writing.
- Budgeting and scheduling.
- Ideas/concepts – writing treatments and pitches.
- Interviewing – getting people to relax, open-up, be authentic and communicate.
- Corporate visual communications – script to screen management
- Marketing films – products, services, festivals, television channels & programmes.
- Making promo’s – on-air/off-air campaigns, launches,brand work.
- 2018 Director/DP/Editor (Feature Doc) ‘Endgame’ YME
- View trailer at:- https://vimeo.com/222421043
- 2017 Director/DP/Editor (Short Doc) ’Sacrificial Virgins’ Meditel Productions
- View trailer at:- https://vimeo.com/208478319
- 2017 Director/DP/Editor (Short Doc) ’PW – Censored’ Meditel Productions
- View trailer at:- https://vimeo.com/208478319
- 2017 Director/DP/Editor (Short Doc) ’PW – Testing Times’ Meditel Productions
- View trailer at:- https://vimeo.com/207097984
- 2016 Producer/Director/Camera Op/Editor (Short Doc) ’Oil in Our Waters’ YME
- View trailer at:- https://vimeo.com/180330177
- 2016 Producer/Edit Producer/Writer (Feature Doc) ‘Humanity’s Heart
- View trailer at:- https://vimeo.com/195306808
- 2016 Producer/Director/Camera Op/Editor (Short Doc) The Robotic Surgeon’ YME
- View trailer at:- https://vimeo.com/159775126
- 2015 Producer/Director/Camera Op/Editor (Short Doc) Building A New Helsinki Autor
- View trailer at:- https://vimeo.com/130313573 (award winning festival film)
- 2014 – 2015 Producer/Director/Camera Op/Editor (Feature Doc) Silhouette Secrets The Roving Artist
- View trailer at:- https://vimeo.com/73028649 (award winning festival film)
- 2011 – 2014 Producer/Director/Camera Op/Editor (Feature Doc) Positively False IRF
- View trailer at:- https://vimeo.com/40364367 (award winning festival film)
- 2011 – 2013 Producer/Director/Camera Op/Editor (Feature Doc) Homecoming YME
- View trailer at:- https://vimeo.com/118595175 (award winning festival film)
- 2013 Producer/Director/Camera Op/Editor Film (Feature Doc) Positive Hell IRF
- View trailer at:- https://vimeo.com/95802046 (award winning festival film including Social Impact Award at Queens IFF, 2017)
- 2012 Producer/Director/Camera Op/Editor Film (Short Doc) Amazing Grace YME
- View trailer at:- https://vimeo.com/34889724 (award winning festival film)
- 2012 Producer/Director/Camera Op/Editor Film (TV Doc) RCHM
- View trailer at:- https://vimeo.com/61357248
- 2012 Producer/Director/Camera Op/Editor (Short Doc) Lost Boyz – Dark Side Of Graffiti
- View trailer at:- https://vimeo.com/152083110
- 2004 Director/Producer/Writer Film (Feature) Cargo YME
- View trailer at:- https://vimeo.com/34307483 (award winning festival film)
- 2012 Producer/Editor Film (Short) The Obit Woman YME
- View trailer at:- https://vimeo.com/34580601
- 2009 Producer/Editor Film (Short) Becca MR/YME
- 2009 Producer/Editor Film (Short) Into The Sunshine
- View trailer at:- https://vimeo.com/105371031
- 2005 Director/Producer/Editor Film (Short) Little Angels
- View trailer at:- https://vimeo.com/34373874
- Selected Screenplays – https://andireiss.wordpress.com/biog/writing/
Creative Director – Writer/Producer/Director Assignments
- 2012 – 2013 Creative Director for Resolution Productions in Qatar (6 months)
- 2012 – 2013 Creative Director/Producer/Writer for Fashion One in The Philippines (6 months)
Commercial and Corporate (Producer and Director)
- Barnardo’s – https://vimeo.com/34741492
- Michelin – https://vimeo.com/44927541
- Visit London – https://vimeo.com/34749240
- Caritas – https://vimeo.com/34580930
- Learning Difficulties – https://vimeo.com/34330576
- World Water – https://vimeo.com/34268088
- Midcom – https://vimeo.com/162886298
- Aviva – https://vimeo.com/146888700
- YPO London – https://vimeo.com/70696532
- Uni Ghent – https://vimeo.com/61912689
- Save The Children – https://vimeo.com/56196979
- SMR – https://vimeo.com/41037049
- Maybelline – https://vimeo.com/38915676
- Visit Scotland – https://vimeo.com/38018571
- Fair Trade – https://vimeo.com/38565658
- Hong Kong Tourist Board – https://vimeo.com/35892564
- Maltese Tourist Board – https://vimeo.com/70553233
Behind The Scenes Videography
Audio Motion – https://vimeo.com/173048267
Video Installations – Producer/Director/Cinematographer/Editor
- Embryonic Dreams – https://vimeo.com/34554787
- Walking On Air – https://vimeo.com/105172415
- Magnetoristance – https://vimeo.com/88199127
- Oil Experimantal – https://vimeo.com/158975176Live Events – Producer/Director/Cinematographer/Editor
- Linked In – https://vimeo.com/114692816
- Status London Premiere – https://vimeo.com/112203050
- Bruno Zamborlin and Plaid Live At The Roundhouse – https://vimeo.com/104129115
Associate Lecturer at: SAE, Oxford & London and London Academy of Media, Film and TV
Memberships: PACT, DGGB
Trustee for Oxfordshire Mind.
Digital Art and Paintings – https://vimeo.com/179401467
Digital Caricatures – https://vimeo.com/179890241
Storyboards – https://andireiss.wordpress.com/biog/storyboards The Directors – https://vimeo.com/109941344
“Andi Reiss is a filmmaker with a brave and brittle voice, appealing to something beyond the obvious.” James Christopher, ‘The Times’ (2010)
“Andi has that unique interviewer’s ability to help me say what I really wanted to say, in ways that I could never have imagined saying it.” Charles Burns, Silhouette Secrets, (2015)
“Andi Reiss is a polymath; a multi-talented creative filmmaker with expert knowledge in business. I have worked closely with Andi over the past 4 years, and in 2013 he and I co-produced a 90 minute documentary which won several awards at international film festivals. We have more recently made a half hour documentary which has won two film festival awards and been selected for screening by the Queens World Film Festival, New York, in March 2017. Andi is a highly skilled cameraperson and editor. He has also had extensive experience of teaching students. He is creative and artistic. He is an ideal candidate for a faculty that combines Design and Media Management. Andi Reiss’s artistic training and abilities combined with his organisational skills would make an important contribution to the production company or high education establishment. I would recommend him highly as a creative and motivated team member.”
Joan Shenton, Director – Meditel Productions (2017)
“I have known Andi Reiss since 2001, both as a friend and, since 2002-2004 , as a work colleague on the feature film Cargo, which Andi directed , and which was produced in 2004. We were co-sceenwriters of the film’s adapted screenplay, and I was also executive producer. Andi is a highly knowledgeable, resourceful, and hardworking filmmaker, with over 15 years’ experience in all areas of the film industry. He also has an aptitude for , and proven skills in, critical appraisal, research ,and writing. In addition, he taught for seven years , on a part-time basis, on a BA degree programme for the SAE film school in Oxford. I have no doubt that he would bring these areas of expertise, experience, commitment, and skill to making films and/or teaching, and for all these reasons I am pleased to support his application in the strongest terms.”
Dr. Tudor Jones.
Hon. Research Fellow in History of Political Thought, Coventry University.
Tutor in Political History, Dept. for Continuing Education, University of Oxford. (2017)
“I was taught by Andi Reiss for two years at SAE, Oxford, and he inspires creativity in so many areas of filmmaking; from screenwriting to cinematography, directing actors, documentary making, producing, budgeting, production management, editing, colour grading, film festivals, sales and distribution. He also has considerable knowledge of the history of film and television. I can honestly say my skills and technical knowledge at University have come on leaps and bounds under Andi’s tuition.”
Keith Hoult, Former, SAE Student, 2015
“You assume every lecturer to have the same views and restrictions, but Andi enabled me to get a 2:1 when I was convinced I couldn’t even pass. He is not just a great lecturer, but a no nonsense, professional filmmaker and a friend. I wish I had known him academically for longer.”
Taylor Papworth, Former SAE Student, 2015
Other referees available upon request.
Public Liability Insurance